Golf Course History
Jeffersonville Golf Club is an 18-Hole, par 70 public course, owned and operated by West Norriton Township. Opened in 1931, Jeffersonville was designed by legendary architect Donald J. Ross. West Norriton Township purchased the golf course in 1972. Originally designed by legendary architect Donald Ross, Jeffersonville opened in 1931 and is currently ranked in the top 10 public golf courses in Pennsylvania.
Prior to becoming a golf course, the land was used for steeplechase horse racing in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The steeplechase races featured thoroughbreds jumping over obstacles on a half-mile, oval track that was located where the 11th and 16th holes currently stand. This played a role in deriving the number 27 on the course in the Jeffersonville logo.
By 1908, the track evolved into the Montgomery Riding Academy, but discontinued the live racing. Anson B. Evans purchased the land in 1919 and the track was closed in the late 1920s. Evans hired Donald Ross to convert the property into an 18-hole golf course, which opened a few years later. The Evans family continued to operate the golf course until West Norriton Township purchased the property in 1972.
Restoration of the Golf Course
In 2000, the course was restored and modernized by Ron Pritchard, a locally-based architect who specializes in restoring the works of this design master.
Some of the highlights of this restoration are:
- Installation of a modern underground irrigation system
- Re-addition of over 40 of the original bunkers
- Rebuilding of the tee boxes on each hole
- Re-routing plan leading to stronger finishing holes
Jeffersonville has played host to many prestigious tournaments and championships over the years, including the U.S.G.A United States Amateur Public Links Championships Sectional Qualifier on two occasions, which showcases the regions best players. Other tournaments included are the page. A Junior Tour Championship, Montgomery County Amateur Championship and multiple Philadelphia Public links Championships, highlighting the top players in the Philadelphia area.
Jeffersonville Golf Club features a fully stocked pro shop, practice putting green, restaurant / snack bar with a full-service bar, and a banquet facility.